23 Oct Surya Namaskara
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is a combination of 12 yoga poses. These poses not only helps to lose that extra fat around the belly, but it also lets you stay in shape, naturally. As by practicing Surya Namaskar daily, one can alone burn 417 calories. The postures stimulate sluggish glands like the thyroid gland and induce it to increase hormonal secretions. Regular practice of Surya Namaskar helps women regulate irregular menstrual cycles and assist in childbirth. Further, it helps in bringing a glow to the face and also prevents wrinkles. Other than this, it also improves sexual functions of the body. Eradicates any internal flaws related to malfunctioning of sexual glands. Also, promotes healthy sexual appetite in a person.
12 poses of Surya Namaskar
Before diving into the benefits of Surya Namaskar, let’s briefly discuss what the 12 poses of Surya namaskar are and how you should do it. It is recommended to perform Surya Namaskar in the early morning during the sunrise, in an open ground as it will benefit you a lot. The following are the 12 poses of Surya Namaskar:
Also called the Prayer pose, it is the simplest one. You have to join your hands together (in namaskar pose) touching your chest. Relaxing the whole body, you have to take a deep breath and exhale, focusing on your breathing. This helps to calm your mind for further exercise.
The Raised Arms pose. Touching the biceps to your ears, raise your hands up and bend backward as much as possible. This helps to improve stretchability, cures back pain and strengthens the spinal cord.
Standing Forward Bend. Now coming downwards try to touch the ground bending your back and keeping your legs straight. This helps you by strengthening the back, abdominal muscles, and nervous system.
Also known as Equestrian pose. While inhaling, extend your left leg behind as far as possible. Now, fold your right knee and place it close towards the right part of the chest. Keep your hands on the floor. Looking up, bend your neck slightly backward. This posture provides psychical benefits and increases flexibility in the legs.
The Staff pose. Stretching your legs behind, bring your body into a straight line. Keeping it parallel to the floor put all your weight on your arms and feet. It will tone your wrists, legs, and build arm muscles.
Salute with eight parts. Laying down on your abdominal part rest your chin, chest, hands, feet on the ground and raise your hips and abdomen high. This asana makes the chest muscles and hands strong.
Also called as Cobra pose. Tuck your elbows to the side of your body. Press your palms into the ground and lift your chest and head off the ground looking in the upward direction. It helps to cure headache and backache.
Adho Mukha Svanasana
Also known as Downward facing dog pose. Elevate your hips up keeping your hands and feet on the ground. It has multiple benefits such as relief from stress, improved circulation, enhanced respiration, better posture, etc.
Or Equestrian pose. Repeat Step 4 with the left leg.
Or hand to foot pose. Repeat step 3.
Or Raised arms Pose. Repeat step 2.
The Prayer pose. Repeat step 1.
This completes the whole circle of Surya Namaskar.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar
Surya namaskar is scientifically proven yoga routine, which contains lots of health benefits like:
- Healthy lower and upper body: It effectively strengthens the legs, ankles, and feet. The pose firms the hips relieves sciatica and reduces flat feet. Also, it helps to develop muscles and core strength.
- Increases blood circulation: The active inhalation and exhalation process throughout the Surya namaskar keeps the blood oxygenated and lungs ventilated. The optimal flow of fresh blood in the body is a great way to detox the body making it free from toxic elements and carbon dioxide.
- Weight loss: When the Surya Namaskar is practiced regularly and at a fast pace, it stretches the abdominal muscles assisting you in reducing weight around the stomach area. Not only losing weight but it also helps to tone the abs and strengthen the muscles.
- Enhances fitness and flexibility: It is a comprehensive workout that benefits the entire body. The diverse 12 postures stretch, strengthen, and boost fitness levels of the body. It works on the joints of wrists; the forward fold extends the limbs and makes the spine supple.
- Helps to control blood pressure and heart problems: Surya Namaskar is a natural remedy for blood pressure. The Surya Namaskar benefits the heart muscles and corrects irregular heartbeats. The practice also keeps sugar levels in control thus keeping the heart problems at bay.
- Breathing stamina increases: It improves the capacity of the lungs, stimulates oxygen supply and regulates it to all the vital organs in the body.
Mental development: It improves the mental and physical balance of the person’s body. Develops patience and builds stamina by increasing the mental capacity of the brain and the body.